Thursday, October 25, 2012

More comments on kyudo practice


"For most of my life I've held an interest in in Feudal Japan and the Samurai.  I've been involved in martial arts since high school, specifically Aikido and Iaido.  When I turned twenty-one I got started in Kyudo.

Those first few weeks were pretty frustrating.  As Sensei Wudarski showed me how to use the Japanese bow (Yumi), I discovered muscles I didn't know I had.  Despite my frustrations, I really enjoyed the art and determined to become proficient.

At the end of that first year, I attended my first Seminar and tested.  Due to a mix of excitement, frazzled nerves and an unfocused mind, I only made Ikkyu (first rank) instead of Shodan (first degree).  Though disappointed, I remembered the last line of the Raiki-Shagi:

"...this is an occasion to search for oneself."


At my second Seminar, being nervous and worried, Sensei continued to remind me to concentrate and focus on my form.  Heeding his advice and hearing his voice in the back of my head, I earned my rank of Shodan.

Even though I am now Nidan (second degree), I am still searching for my true self."

--Chris, Nidan


For those who may be interested, here is the full text of the Raiki-Shagi (Record of Etiquette-Truth of Shooting), which is one of the important historical texts describing Kyudo philosophy:

Raiki-Shagi  (Record of Etiquette-Truth of Shooting)


The shooting, with the round of moving forward or backward can never be without courtesy and propriety (Rei).

After having acquired the right inner intention and correctness in the outward appearance, the bow and arrow can be handled resolutely.

To shoot in this way is to perform the shooting with success, and through this shooting virtue will be evident.

Kyudo is the way of perfect virtue.  In the shooting, one must search for rightness in oneself.  With the rightness of self, shooting can be realized.

At the time when shooting fails, there should be no resentment towards those who win.  On the contrary, this is an occasion to search for oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment